Let us not grow weary of doing good...

Saturday, April 16, 2011

There are so many times in this life where we become wounded by another person's words or actions.  As a nurse, I experience this frequently.  I believe the Lord called me to be a nurse for several reasons, but I believe one of the biggest reasons is for the purpose of my own sanctification.  There have been very difficult encounters with patients since I have been working in a hospital.  These situations have been extremely difficult to swallow at times...people being rude, angry, stressed, and hateful.  It seems as if the nurse is the only one for them to take their frustration out on.  I recently faced a patient encounter like this.  It was very hurtful and at times even made me angry.  I kept thinking to myself, "Why am I being treated like this?  I don’t deserve this.  I am only trying to help this patient and do what I know is best for their health and well-being, so why is this person choosing to act so ugly towards me?"  As I drove home after my long 12 hour shift ended, I began to feel the tears start to flow as I was reminded of my glorious Savior who once endured the cruelty and hate of those who had him crucified.  If anyone didn’t deserve to be mistreated, it was Christ.   At that thought, John 15:18 came to my mind.  "If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it has hated you.”  With that reminder, I am able to see that there is nothing that can be done to me that could ever be as awful as what He endured.  He bore the greatest reproach on my behalf.
As His follower, I am to remember that I have been placed in such a position in order to serve Him by serving others, to be His hands and feet, and to grow more and more in His grace.  Even though at times, I may become greatly distressed, I am to think upon the One who has gone before me.  May I remember to always count my blessings, even when my heart feels trampled upon by the world around me.  Pray for me as I continue to be a light in this dark world and also that my love would grow deeper in serving the sick and the broken. 
I hope this also encourages you to forgive those who may say and do hurtful things towards you.  Remember that those who live a life in obedience to Christ will one day receive a crown of glory.  It may be a hard and lonely life, but a blessed one indeed.

"For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my slavation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken."
 Psalm 62:1-2

I was able to hear these beautiful words to this song on my way home from the hospital after that trying shift.  These are great words to remember when we become weary in this race of life.
“When the Saints” By Sara Groves
Lord I have a heavy burden of all I've seen and know
It's more than I can handle
But your word is burning like a fire shut up in my bones
and I can’t let it go

And when I'm weary and overwrought
with so many battles left unfought

I think of Paul and Silas in the prison yard
I hear their song of freedom rising to the stars
And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them

Lord it's all that I can't carry and cannot leave behind
it all can overwhelm me
but I think of all who've gone before them and lived the faithful life
their courage compels me

And when I'm weary and overwrought
with so many battles left unfought

I think of Paul and Silas in the prison yard
I hear their song of freedom rising to the stars

I see the shepherd Moses in the Pharaohs court
I hear his call for freedom for the people of the Lord

And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them
And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them

I see the long quiet walk along the Underground Railroad
I see the slave awakening to the value of her soul

I see the young missionary at the angry spear
I see his family returning with no trace of fear

I see the long hard shadows of Calcutta nights
I see the sisters standing by the dying mans side

I see the young girl huddled on the brothel floor
I see the man with a passion come and kicking down that door

I see the man of sorrow and his long troubled road
I see the world on his shoulders and my easy load

And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them
And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them
I want to be one of them
I want to be one of them
I want to be one of them

1 comments:

Hannah said...

Here are some additional thoughts to remember when facing the anger of others towards us and how we ourselves are not to respond in anger.

I read this from the chapter about Anger in Jerry Bridges' book, "Respectable Sins."

"...we need to hand over to God the occasion of our anger. This is especially true when we find ourselves the objects of someone else's anger or the objects of unjust treatment by a boss, an overbearing husband, or anyone who treats us unjustly or unfairly. To dissolve our sinful emotions, we must believe that God is absolutely sovereign in all the affairs of our lives (both the 'good' and the 'bad') and that all the words or actions of other people that tempts us to anger are somehow included in His wise and good purposes to make us more like Jesus. We must realize that any given situation that tempts us to anger can drive us either to sinful anger or to Christ and His sanctifying power."

Post a Comment