A World Fascinated by Sadism

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My husband and I often like to sit and drink our coffee while discussing the controversial issues of our day.  This morning I brought up how I have seen more of a rise in people's fascination with sadism, gore...and often mixing them with sex. The thought horrified me as I remembered the passages in scripture that speak of hell and it's many torments, such as the verses that describe being thrown into outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 8:12 and Revelation 20:13-15).  

As we can see, the media makes this out to be make-believe, a fantasy, or something that couldn't really happen.  And far be it from the media to point out that there is actually an after-life.  What we don't often think about is that one day when the Lord returns He will truly condemn those whom did not follow Him and they will be facing a terrible judgment.  I believe this sadistic and gory fascination will soon become a living reality for many.  I don't think scripture talks about "gnashing of teeth" just to give us an analogy of some far off punishment that isn't really going to take place, but is truly painting a picture of what will occur to those outside of Christ.  I believe that all restraint will be gone in that horrible place of torment.  God's sustaining grace is what keeps humans from tearing each other to pieces, but sometimes even that still happens in our world because of sin and its depravity.

So I simply ask this question, what is it in us that desires to view such things?  Could this possibly be stemming from the lust of the flesh?  We all combat desires that many times should make us stop and truly search our hearts.  Christians still fight against fleshly desires and have to combat satan daily when he attacks our minds. 

Now before you flood my inbox...I am not necessarily saying that it is sinful to watch a show about a zombie apocalypse or movies about awkward vampire romances, but I am only asking what it is that causes us to grasp so tightly onto such interests.




4 comments:

Marcia Wilwerding said...

Man is made in the image of God. For someone to deface that image with blood and gore is to deface the image of God. Furthermore, when people view such things on a regular basis, it desensitizes them from the reality. I shudder to think what our future holds with so much of it available online to young children left to themselves. :(

Hannah said...

That is exactly what Sam and I discussed. In fact, our world has become desensitized to more than just what is on TV, but other controversial issues as well. Even the church of our day is tainted with the attitude of compromising the truth of the gospel just to prevent the possibility of offending someone. Very discouraging.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to take a different view here. I think its a firm grasp of reality that lets us ignore the blood and gore on T.V. Not desensitization. Watching someone get killed on T.V is different then killing them yourself. Movies don't give people PTSD. It's a parent's duty to teach their children reality. Its not a t.v producers job.

Hannah said...

I am pretty sure you completely misunderstood my post.

Post a Comment